Here we go...

We found this house... It sits in the middle of our little Hill Country town.  It was built by a German man who came to help his brother build the grist mill or the lumber mill or both, depending on the old story teller you are listening to.  It sits on a creek that runs right through the middle of our town.  The house has been loved, neglected, a place of memories and an eye sore... It was worth our time.  I knew it!


 One problem... I knew it would need lots of work and time and we had never done anything like this before.  Ok, that's more than one problem and there were others too.  I convinced my husband to go look.  We were given a tour by an eager realtor.  We hear ALL KINDS of stories.  It was a summer camp, they hid in the root cellar to escape the Indians, there's bent willow twigs in the "original" beehive fireplace, it was originally a log cabin, the kids slept upstairs (think Laura Ingalls)... I think the selling points for my husband were the apparent link to Lukenbach and the potential wine cellar currently the root cellar which is of course a bit unusual in our neck of the woods.  It has had additions good and bad over the years.


  Some remain and some don't. Ok, I don't actually love what has become known as the German Hill Country style house.  I am more of a Southern girl.  I decided my house needed a story.  I decided we needed to create a home my Louisiana Granny would have wanted if she had moved here.  Southern meets German Rock House.  The first thing we did was give the house a little face lift.  A sneak peek into what we had planned and a way for my sweet husband to appease me knowing this was going to be a long road!





Before...
 
 
Our porch is long.  It has a great view of the neighborhood that has grown up around the house.  It gets an amazing breeze for outdoor dining but, hello!? What is up with those tiles.  Or how about that post that is situated exactly in front of the front door? And the light fixture...  Nice! So we made some changes...



But one thing I knew for sure.  The minute I saw this diamond in the rough.  My boys and I could be happy here.  We could love this house back to what it once was and hopefully build our forever home.







 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
 

Comments

Popular Posts